Top 7 activities for under 7’s
Have a look at some of the things to do during your next family Staycation to Athlone and discover all the Hidden Heartlands has to offer. Remember you can also bring the bikes and check out the Old Rail Trail.
Our top 7 activities to keep under 7’s entertained and engaged with nature and the outdoors.
7. Lough Key Forest Park is a giant playground suitable for families young and old. Explore vast woodlands, traffic free trails, islands and a lake, you will be spoiled for choice. The Information Booth, Coffee Cart and Lough Key food truck are open daily from 10am so you can get refreshments in-between activities or walks. The Cycle trail at Lough Key is ideal for families with kids’ bikes, bikes with child seats or tag-a-longs and the walking routes have options to suit walkers of all abilities. Pick up one of their new fun fact map for kids to keep them entertained along the way.
For updates and booking visit loughkey.ie
6. Birr Castle Gardens is well worth the short drive from Athlone as it offers visitors the chance to explore 120 acres of parklands and award-winning gardens. It is also home to Ireland’s largest tree-house and the world famous Great Telescope. Explore 10 km of walks to discover rare trees, flowers and wonderful wildlife, peaceful rivers, the waterfall and the lake. Kids will love the Treehouse playground and there are lots of picnic options throughout.
Book tickets here birrcastle.com
5. Belvedere House Gardens and Park is an impressive 160 acre lakeside estate, with a fully restored Georgian Villa and Victorian Walled Garden set within a spectacular parkland designed in the 18th century. A day out with a difference, Belvedere is also the perfect area for children. Enjoy 10km of serene trails through woodland and alongside the beautiful Lough Ennell. Explore The Victorian Walled Garden and visit the magical Fairy Garden at the bottom of the Walled Garden in an enchanted glen. The play areas and the café at Belvedere are also now open. Day visitors must book their tickets online in advance of arrival.
For updates and to book visit belvedere-house.ie
4. Athlone Equestrian Centre is located less than 10 minutes away from Athlone town in a quiet country setting. The centre provides a safe and fun learning experience for both adults and kids and group and private classes are available.
For more details and updates visit athloneequestrian.ie
3. Take a stroll along the Shannon banks Nature Trail which takes you alongside the Shannon river and old Athlone Canal. Starting near Athlone Castle, the kids will enjoy the short walk and might even get the chance to feed the swans and ducks.
2. Baysports is Ireland’s Largest Waterpark and has challenging climbs and fast slides to make for a memorable day out.
Plan your “Day at the Bay” and enjoy an impressive collection of slides, trampolines and platforms including the largest inflatable waterslide in the world. They have recently opened a new Junior Waterpark which is suitable for 2 – 6-year olds. It is ideal for younger kids as the slides do not run into the water, helping to build their confidence while testing their climbing skills.
For bookings and updates visit baysports.ie
1. Glendeer Pet Farm is an award-winning open farm where you can spend a relaxing day out in the fresh air. The kids will get to visit the new hobbit village and meet all the animals, along with some exciting new arrivals. Enjoy lunch al fresco and relax at one of the picnic benches located all around the farm, after a stroll along the nature walk. An unforgettable experience for all the family.
For updates visit glendeerpetfarm.ie
Image – Glendeer Pet Farm
You can also keep the kids entertained for a few hours at The Planet Entertainment Centre Athlone. They are open until 10pm everyday with bowling, arcade machines, astroTurf, snooker and pool. Adventureland SoftPlay is also open from 11am and is ideal for younger kids and babies. They have limited capacity at the moment to facilitate new measures, you can book your session by calling 09064-94766.
With all this and plenty more to see, do and experience, book your family staycation in Athlone today.